g

g

Friday, September 25, 2015

Lesson #3: Everyone Has a Lobster

I just want to preface this post by saying that I am not, by any means, an expert in love or relationships. Being 18 years old, I'm still trying to figure things out myself and that means I'm not really in a position to give out advice. I think that in the grand scheme of love and relationships there's a lot of uncertainty, but one thing that I have absolutely no doubts about is the fact that everyone has a lobster out there.


Okay, I realize I may have lost some people already. This should clear things up.



So basically your lobster is your soulmate. I'm a firm believer that everyone has one, it's just a matter of finding them.

1. Ross and Rachel (Duh)


So if you know anything about friends, you know that the Ross and Rachel story is pretty much a central theme throughout the entirety of the series. Ross has had a crush on Rachel ever since she and Monica were friends in high school. The extent of his feelings for her is made known in the episode The One with the Prom Video, and this is where we see them officially get together.



They date for a little while until about halfway through season 3 when Rachel suggests they "take a break" and well, you know the rest. They spend the rest of the series in an on-again-off-again sort of relationship. They both date other people as well as get back together for brief periods, like to drunkenly get married in Vegas,


and to have a baby together,


before they FINALLY get back together for good in the iconic series finale, where Rachel gets off the plane.

Although Ross and Rachel's relationship was never perfect, and it took them TEN seasons to realize that they were really meant to be, they found each other in the end, and that's what having a lobster is all about.

2. Chandler and Monica


Chandler and Monica were a couple that no one saw coming but made complete sense once they got together. They had both been in serious, long-term relationships before discovering that their lobster was right under their nose. What started out as a drunken hookup in London during the weekend of Ross' (second) wedding bloomed into a beautiful relationship that I would appropriately describe as #goals.


Although Chandler and Monica had known each other for years (Chandler was Ross' roommate in college), they didn't get together until the end of season 4. While you might be thinking that seems like a questionable amount of time for two people to realize that their soulmates, I think that part of the reason that Chandler and Monica worked so well together is because they had such a solid foundation together as friends.


3. Phoebe and Mike



Phoebe is the only friend we see to look outside the group for true love. She meets Mike on a blind date that Joey sets her up on, and the rest is history. Although they don't meet until season 9, they instantly click with each other; Mike turns out to be just as quirky and odd as Phoebe, just maybe in a more muted sort of way.


Phoebe and Mike date for about the course of a year until they get married in the last season and have the most beautiful, spontaneous wedding where they've written their own vows, which pretty much sum up their relationship perfectly.

9 comments:

  1. A "lobster" is definitely a very promising idea. I love how you manage to use one of your favorite T.V. shows to give two different examples of how people can find their lobsters. I have never watched any Friends, but am now very interested in watching a few episodes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, this is so funny and interesting. I like how you incorporate video clips and gifs to help support and explain what you're talking about. I don't know a lot about Friends, but the media you included made it easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Friends which makes this blog amazing to me. I like how you incorporate the videos to help explain what you mean to those who don't watch friends. II also like how you described the three totally different relationships shown in Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lobster theory of Friends. I also love all of those couples so this post just really made me smile. Thanks for bringing Friends back into my life when I don't have any more time to watch it! (I'm rewatching, and the last episode I saw was the one where Ross and Rachel break up)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, I literally love your blog. I totally agree with you everyone definitely does have a "lobster". It's crazy how you can meet your soul mate at a young age such as high school or later in life. I guess timing is really everything. I love all the examples you give in this blog post about the different types of relationships like Ross and Rachel and Phoebe and Mike. The photos and videos really add to it, and help those who aren't regular watchers of friends understand! I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Literally, 5 seconds ago, I looked at the person's computer screen on the right of me, and noticed how lively and engaging your blog was, which caused me to check your blog out! I was not disappointed one bit. Your hook and topic was very enticing, and creativity is literally everywhere on this blog. Amazing job, keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading about everyone's "lobster." Friends is personally one of my favorite shows but I haven't watched it in a while. So reading this blog is like bringing back old memories for me. The scene where Rachel gets off the plane was possibly one of the best scenes in TV history in my opinion. I really enjoyed how you brought the entire show together to talk about the life lessons that it teaches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a firm believer that everyone has a lobster,too. I like how you go in depth with all the main relationships and include gifs and videos to help people who haven't seen the show understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so cool how you use lessons and examples from Friends and bring it back to real life. Maybe you could add a little more personal experience just to tie it all together even more. But your blog is so lively and exciting and I love reading it. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete