g

g

Friday, September 11, 2015

Lesson #1: Your Past Doesn't Determine Your Future

As a freshman, one of the things I found most appealing about college was the whole "blank slate" thing. Here, at a large university, no one really cares who you were in high school or who you hung out with or what you did. But the truth is, you don't have to wait for some major event to come along and give you a fresh start. Sometimes it helps, but ultimately your life is not pre-written; you can choose when to close one chapter and start a new one. Because if I've learned one thing from my many years of being a Friends enthusiast, it's that you can always start over. Your past doesn't determine your future.

I'm sure we all remember the iconic pilot episode of Friends (appropriately titled "The Pilot"). If you're a little rusty on your Friends trivia, let me lay it out for you. Monica, Phoebe, Ross, Joey, and Chandler are hanging out at a coffee shop, reflecting on Ross's impending divorce, when in walks Rachel, an old high school friend of Monica's, who's just left her fiancĂ© at the altar.



In the following scene that foreshadows much of Rachel's character development throughout the series, Rachel stands in the kitchen of Monica's apartment and talks to her father on the phone. Her father is angry with her and wants her to return to the wedding, but Rachel tries to make him understand why she can't.



With this somewhat confusing metaphor, Rachel tells her father that she doesn't want the life that everyone else has chosen for her; she wants to decide for herself. In response her father cuts her off, and so begins this spoiled rich-girl's journey from daddy's little princess to a successful, independent woman.

Having previously relied on her parents for financial support for all her life with her only goal to marry rich, Rachel finds herself faced with the difficult task of having to reinvent herself. Monica welcomes her into her home, allowing Rachel to stay with her while she attempts to reorganize her life. Rachel manages to find a job at the Central Perk coffee shop and begins to learn the valuable lesson of supporting herself as an adult.


In this episode, Rachel is a prime example that your future isn't set in stone; you can choose your own path, regardless of the one you're already on. In the span of one episode, Rachel goes from someone who has always had everything handed to her on a silver platter, to someone who really has to work for what she has. But in the words of Monica, "this is probably for the best, you know? Independence, taking control of your life". Rachel is finally free to decide things for herself, regardless of what things have been like for her in the past. Walking away from her privileged life was probably the hardest things Rachel had ever had to do, but she did it. She chose to become a new person and carve out her own niche in the world.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE FRIENDS SO MUCH. I'm currently re-watching it on Netflix and I go through the seasons way too quickly (its actually really bad). I'm glad you've found a way to connect this with what we're all going through and made it universal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Friends before, so I'm really happy you started with the pilot! I think the whole 're-creating yourself' concept is probably one of the most universally comforting ideas, so it was interesting to read about how it's incorporated into Friends, and your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's so important that you chose to write about this while we all are essentially reinventing ourselves here at college. I love the show friends and all of the lessons each episode has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can’t stress enough that how the first lesson from Friends is very related to my life in abroad. I have decided to study abroad about, technically, 5 years ago. I just felt an urge that I need to be the host for myself not my parents. Throughout those independent years, I have acquired countless life lessons and interpersonal skills that I would not be able to do so if I were to stay in my parent’s nest. Because of who I am and that I am reaching for that ultimate goal I’ve always dreamt of…. That is why I am here. Had a lot of thought while reading this. Appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who's never been an avid watcher of Friends, your blog has made me reconsider it. I might start watching it on the reg, because the gifs and videos you posted are really funny. Otherwise, I like how you've pulled so much meaning from this show and talked about in a way that is completely relatable to your readers.

    ReplyDelete