g

g

Friday, September 18, 2015

Lesson #2: Plan Ahead (Things We Can All Learn From Ross)


So this week has pretty much been the week from hell. At least for me anyway. I've had two tests, three papers due, online assignments, and then, on top of all that, the regular amount of homework/studying I would have on any given week. Needless to say, things have been a little hectic the past few days, and I know that a lot of other people are in similar situations. So now, here I am, trying to finish up a blog post at 12:00 am, wondering how I got here. And while I keep trying to tell myself that it's because I had more work this week than I could possibly get done in a timely manner, I know deep down that I probably could have planned ahead a little bit better.


So why am I choosing to focus on Ross for this life lesson? Well, probably because Ross is the literal embodiment of what can happen to you when you fail to plan ahead. From ripped couches to bad fake tans, Ross has seen it all and still manages to keep going.

1. The One with the Cop
This is hands-down the best example I can think of to illustrate this point, and probably one of the most iconic moment in the show's history. Yup, you guessed it, I'm talking about the "PIVOT" scene.



In this episode, Ross buys a new couch for his apartment. In true Ross-fashion, however, he decides that the cost of having it delivered is too expensive and that he could simply do it himself. After enlisting the help of Rachel and Chandler, the friends realize that the couch is too big to fit up the stairs, and they find themselves at a stand-still. The episode ends with Ross attempting to return the couch, now split in half, to the furniture store from which he bought it. He is offered $4 in store credit and happily accepts.


2. The One with All the Resolutions
Another golden Ross moment. This episode starts out at a New Year's Eve party at Monica's apartment. After the party ends, Ross suggests that they all make New Year's resolutions; for his resolution, he decides to try to do one thing every day that he has never done before. For one of his "new things" Ross buys a pair of leather pants which he then wears on a date. However, the pants prove to be pretty uncomfortably hot, so he goes to the bathroom to take them off and cool down. Then, well, this happens.



3. The One with Ross's Tan

After becoming jealous of Monica's spray tan, Ross decides to go and get one himself. He goes in to the tanning booth not fully understanding the process, and ends up becoming an "eight." He then attempts to get it evened out at another tanning salon but decides that he doesn't need to hear the instructions again, and ultimately makes things worse for himself.



Although these are just three examples out of many of Ross's failure to plan ahead, I think we can learn a lot here. It's important to keep the consequences of your actions in mind when you're making a decision, and make sure you know exactly what you're getting into before you do. But just know that even if you make a mistake, your friends will always be there for you to pick you back up (but maybe not before making fun of you just a little bit).

6 comments:

  1. Friends is probably my favorite show ever! I absolutely love how its still relevant and so easy to relate to. I have 3 more episodes until I've seen every episode and it makes me so sad. So, I will definitely keep up with your blog because I'll get to revisit all the funny moments and maybe even see them in a different light.

    Thanks so much for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE WERE ON A BREAK! I can never really decide how I feel about Ross but from the leather pants, to the fake tan, to the overly bleached teeth, he really makes the show funny, and lets be honest, really easy to connect to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love friends and it is a great concept for a blog. I like the amount of examples you put however I would suggest you explain more in-depth how the situation would have been different if he planned ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After taking my astro exam, I felt the strong need of plan things "ahead". I tend to procrastinate a lot, but those clips of ross' clearly gave me a lesson that I won't get any favorable result unless I plan ahead. What a coincidence! haha.. man the questions I got wrong are still in my head aughhh! Actually, I'll go watch friends :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. After taking my astro exam, I felt the strong need of plan things "ahead". I tend to procrastinate a lot, but those clips of ross' clearly gave me a lesson that I won't get any favorable result unless I plan ahead. What a coincidence! haha.. man the questions I got wrong are still in my head aughhh! Actually, I'll go watch friends :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week was crazy for me as well. I had all these science blogs due that I knew about for three weeks. I waited till Wednesday night to start them. I finished them last night at 3 am. So next time I need to plan ahead and do one per week. I love all the pictures in your blog and videos, they really add to the blog!

    ReplyDelete