g

g

Friday, April 1, 2016

Lesson #18: Your Sibling Is Your Best Friend

I have two little sisters who I am extremely blessed to have in my life. I can honestly say that they are two of my best friends in the world. We have always been there for each other through the highs and the lows and will continue to support each other with whatever life brings us. Being away from them this year has been, and I hate to admit this, a lot harder than I thought it would be. Because even though they can be extraordinarily frustrating to deal with sometimes, they are my sisters and I love them for better or for worse. I think that the bond between siblings is incredibly special because you really can't get rid of them. They know you better than anyone else and for many people, the relationship you have with your sibling(s) will be the longest relationship you have in your life.

So of course, for this life lesson I'd like to make the example of everyone's favorite sibling duo: Monica and Ross.


Monica and Ross definitely have their fair share of frustrations with each other, many of which come to a head during the 9th episode of the 6th season titled "The One Where Ross Got High." During the episode, Monica and Chandler plan to tell Monica's parents about their relationship but are hesitant because Jack and Judy don't like Chandler for some unknown reason. They soon learn, however, that the reason is because in college during spring break, Ross got high in his bedroom and when his parents caught him, he blamed it on Chandler. Monica insists that Ross tell them the truth, but he's reluctant to admit it was him.


When he refuses to come clean to his parents, Monica decides to tell them for him. And, well, some other truths decided to come out too. 

 
 

Despite their minor disagreements, Monica and Ross have a really strong (yet somewhat quirky) relationship. They have always been close with each other and as a result have many secrets and inside jokes between them. For example, Ross's way of giving Monica the finger that he made up to fool his parents.



There is also The Routine, which is a dance routine that Monica and Ross made up in middle school. According to Ross, it was so good that they got "honorable mention in the brother/sister dance category." When the siblings get invited to dance for Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve, they decide to do The Routine in order to get the attention of the producer and be featured on the show. 


When it comes to TV brothers and sisters, there are few who can match up to Monica and Ross in terms of fights, pranks, and inside jokes. Throughout all of their antics, they really show the importance of having a good (even if somewhat dysfunctional) relationship with your sibling.


Media courtesy of (in order of appearance):

2 comments:

  1. I am a single child so I never had siblings. So, I never experienced nearly any of these things you talk about in this blog post, but I believe every single word you say since it is such a reoccurring them with my friends too. There will always be fights, funny moments, sad moments, and literally every single emotion or event you can think, your brothers and sisters will always have your back despite what altercation you have recently gotten with them because they are family no matter what! Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute. I am an only child but I do have a god-brother that stayed with us for sometime and our relationship is weird to say the least. In other words the only thing that we ever do is argue, yet whenever either of us needs a friend or a helping hand we are there for one another. That's how I presume that siblings actually are and for that I am grateful to have had my miniature experience of having a sibling

    ReplyDelete