g

g

Friday, November 20, 2015

Lesson #10: Listen to Your Parents

Like most people my age, I have certainly had my fair share of arguments with my parents. However, as painful as it is for me to admit, they almost always turn out to be right in the end. I'm beginning to make my peace with it but I'll be honest, that doesn't stop me from occasionally trying to prove to my mother that she might be wrong every great once in a while (spoiler alert: still hasn't happened). To her credit, she has never failed to be there for me when I suffer the consequences of not listening to her, though not without a brief lecture about how "your mother is always right!" I'll take it though, because my mom has taught me so many invaluable lessons that I'll carry with me throughout my life. Sure, I learned some of them the hard way, but I'll be forever thankful to my mother for guiding me through it.

So, with this in mind, I'd like to share with you some lessons that we can all learn from the parents of Friends:

Don't be afraid to shake things up ~ Jack Geller

Jack Geller (Ross and Monica's dad) is probably my favorite parent on the show, mainly due to the fact that he says the most outrageous things without even realizing it. One of my favorite Jack Geller moments is when he tells Monica, in the wake of her grandmother's death, that when his time comes, he'd like to be buried at sea.


Maybe Jack has a point here, although I certainly don't think you have to wait until you die to change things up. 

Be your most authentic self ~ Charles Bing/Helena Handbasket

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the show, Chandler's parents divorced when he was 9 after his father came out as gay. Since then, he became a drag queen and joined an all-male burlesque show called "Viva Las Gaygas." 



Although Chandler wasn't exactly on board with his father's lifestyle, Charles never compromised himself and continued to live the life he loved. While Chandler and his father didn't get along for a while, they eventually make up with each other and as you can see in the clip above, Charles agrees to go to Chandler and Monica's wedding. 

Be with someone who makes you happy ~ Sandra Green

When we first meet Rachel's mom, she displays a lot of the characteristics we first saw in Rachel at the beginning of the show (spoiled, lofty, dependent on others). However, she soon announces to Rachel that she's considering leaving her husband. After seeing Rachel leading such an independent, happy life, Sandra realized that she was unhappy with her own.



Rachel's mom shows us that it's never too late to make a change and that you should never compromise your own happiness for things like financial security or luxury. You deserve to be with someone you love, and even if it takes you a little longer to realize that, you still have the right to decide for yourself what is best for you. 

With Thanksgiving coming up next week, I think that we should all try to set some time aside to really thank our parents for everything that they've done for us. Whether we'd like to admit it or not, they have a lot of wisdom to offer us and I know that personally I wouldn't be where I am today without the guidance of my two biggest supporters. 


Images and video courtesy of (in order of appearance):

10 comments:

  1. Every time my mom calls, she tells me to clean my room, eat less junk food, and go to sleep. Even if its 8 pm when she calls, she always ends with "go to sleep!" I should probably listen to her. Even though sometime she drives me up a wall telling me to do this and that, I know that it's because she wants me to be healthy and happy. This Thanksgiving, I'll give thanks to having two amazing and loving parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, I really like that you chose to talk about family and role models leading up to Thanksgiving. What I like about your analysis is that you acknowledge that their parents aren't perfect, but there are still things we can learn from them. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of having universal themes in your blog because it is much more easier to relate to it. The visuals, of course, are stellar! Congrats on making it to your last blog post! I hope you continue it for next semester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so accurate. It's usually hard to credit my parents for it, but without them, I wouldn't be here at Penn State. I've absolutely loved reading your blog during this semester and I hope you continue with something similar next semester :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate very well to this post since I am given pretty much daily advice from my mom. Unlike you though I have had the luxury of proving my mother wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit that this is this first time I have read your blog. I love how you apply friends to the situations we encounter on a day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never realized how "me" this is and like the bond with my mom is strange but it works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my mom! Yes, she is always right just like your mom... I think it's a "mom thing." Friends is a perfect example of teaching life lessons because it is such a relatable show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like college makes many of us realize that our parents are the greatest people in our lives. As a matter of fact as much as I hate to admit it, my parents are almost 99 percent of the time right about everything. This blog makes me miss my parents, I can't wait to see them this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great pre-thanksgiving post.Me and my mom are so close and i'm really excited to see her.Us being so close, many times we bicker and do not get along because like your mom, she's always right.I loved this post and hope you continue it next semester.

    ReplyDelete